Yahoo! Avatars


Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #22

My facebook account

My myspace account


Social networking is not only fun, but important for our jobs as educators. Networking with other teachers and librarians will help to keep us on the cutting edge of our work and give us fresh new ideas to implement in our classrooms and libraries.

I primarily have used these sites for my personal life, but this "thing" made me explore further and find library related links like authors, library associations, etc. It is really neat to be updated daily by these people and associations. I feel like a part of their "inner circle" even though they don't know me.

I really prefer Facebook over MYspace. Facebook is very simple. There is not a lot of "stuff" on people's pages. It loads quickly and is easy to navigate. Myspace kinda drives me crazy because people decorate and upload all kinds of stuff to their pages (including me)! It takes forever for the page to load. I get irritated waiting. I find it harder to find people on Myspace.

I definitely think there is an educational use for Facebook. Classes could start a profile together and become friends with people and groups that are related with the topics they will be studying. The teachers could check their page daily on the promethean board for the whole class to see what kinds of posts occurred the night before. This is a great way to do some real-world learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment